If you’re anything like the majority of people, you’ve probably been thinking about changes you’d like to make in your life for 2019. Maybe you’re traditional and you actually set New Year’s Resolutions for yourself, or maybe you’re less formal and you just consider the things you’d like to see happen in the new year.
When we start thinking about the changes we’d like to make, how many of us start thinking about our physical health and fitness and maybe even some weight loss? The truth is – most of us.
Whether you have a few pounds to drop to fit back into your favorite pair of jeans after some holiday splurging, or if you have a more significant amount of weight to lose after allowing it to slowly pile on over the years – your best solution might just be a weight loss challenge.
Before we dive into WHY a weight loss challenge might be the best solution you didn’t know you were looking for, let’s talk about what we mean when we say “weight loss challenge”. For the purpose of this article, we’re considering a weight loss challenge to be a program overseen by fitness or medical professionals. The program would have a clear start and end date with reliable measuring, tracking and documentation throughout. We’d even go so far as to argue that the very BEST challenges will also involve some kind of cost because the more skin you have in the game – the more seriously you’re likely to take it.
Okay, so now we know what we mean by weight loss challenge, let’s talk about our favorite benefits. Here are five benefits of completing a weight loss challenge:
1. Weight Loss. Okay, this one’s obvious, but who among us wouldn’t be happy to step on the scale six weeks from today and see that we’ve dropped a few pounds?
2. Accountability. We usually have the best intentions in life, don’t we? We mean to lose weight. We mean to make healthier choices. We mean to call our mothers on the phone more often. But what happens is that intentions without any actual action just become wishes we’ve made. Joining a challenge is a simple step you can take that swings you from intention into action!
3. It’s short term. For a lot of us, the idea of weight loss is accompanied by the idea of sacrifice. We imagine all the delicious and fun things we’re going to have to give up in order to lose weight and we lose momentum before we’ve even started. Joining a challenge (especially a shorter one like 30 or 45 days) means that you’re only sacrificing for a pre-determined period of time. If you want to go back to your old ways (although you likely won’t WANT to – and then it’s no longer a sacrifice) at the end of the challenge, you can.
4. It’s cost-effective. Challenges usually take advantage of group training or workouts meaning that you pay less than you would if you did it on your own and hired a personal trainer. You’ll get more bang for your buck while still getting effective workouts and coaching from qualified coaches.
5. There’s Support. The same thing that makes challenges cost-effective – the other people – make challenges social, too. And there’s hard science that supports the idea that if your fitness or weight loss program is social, you’ll be more successful in both the short term (for the challenge) AND the long term (lasting lifestyle change).
Now, let’s get the disclaimer out of the way: as with ANY exercise or diet program, you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before beginning any new programs.
Want to learn more about how the Elevate Syracuse Fitness Weight Loss Challenge addresses ALL of these benefits and more? Fill out this short form for a free, no-obligation session!