Do you suffer from Tech Neck? If you do, you’re not alone. We’re spending more time in front of screens and that doesn’t always do great things for our posture. Luckily, our friends over at Metro Physical and Aquatic Therapy put together this great infographic with some exercises to help you ovecome Tech Neck!
This infographic was created by Metro Physical & Aquatic Therapy, an aquatic physical therapy provider
What is tech neck pain?
Sitting in a hunched position with your head drooped forward it may cause headaches, neck pain, reduced mobility, soreness and stiffness.
- Individuals spend about four hours a day on their smartphones.
- In the U.S., neck and lower back pain ranked third in total healthcare costs, costing an astounding $86 billion each year.
- Around 70 to 75% of the population is likely to experience neck pain at some point in their lives.
Exercises To Combat Neck Pain
The following exercises can help strengthen the neck and shoulders as well as train the body to keep a head incorrect alignment.
Sit upright in a chair and tuck the chin toward the middle of your neck, as if making a double chin. Hold for 10 seconds, then slowly raise your chin back into a neutral position.
Stand or sit with the arms at the sides of the body. Squeeze the shoulder blades together and downward. Hold for about 10 seconds, then slowly release.
In a sitting position, tilter head up or as far back as you can. Hold for about five seconds. Then, lower the head and tuck the chin to your chest.
Tips To Avoid Tech Neck
- When working, change positions or stand every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Keep eyes level and sit straight.
- Avoid slouching and shrugging your shoulders.
- If pain becomes severe, seek professional help.