Experience The Mind Body Connection at Elevate
Whether you’re a seasoned yoga practitioner or you’re stepping on the mat for the first time, Elevate Fitness offers a variety of yoga practices taught by a team of passionate, dedicated instructors who are eager to help you find your inner zen.
Your First Yoga Class
Plan to arrive at your first Yoga class early to let your Certified Yoga Instructor know it’s your first time so you can get help with your space setup. Bring a water bottle and towel , and wear clothes that will you can comfortably reach, stretch, bend over, sit and stand in:
Attire – We recommend light weight, cotton clothing that you’re comfortable moving in. While some prefer form-fitting clothing that allows them to see their lines during practice, others prefer loose-fitting flowing clothing for class. Choose what feels right to you.
Your Feet – While you may choose to wear socks specially created for yoga practice, most yogis prefer to practice barefoot as this gives you the best grip on your mat and allows you to feel properly grounded during standing poses.
Mat – We recommend yoga mats that are thinner and grippier than a standard work-out mat. While the club has extra mats on hand if you require one, many prefer to bring their own mat to class.
Setting Up Your Space
Knowing how to properly set up your space for a safe and effective yoga practice will help ensure you get the most of out the class and reduce your risk of injuring yourself.
- Space – Set up your mat leaving enough room in front of, behind and to either side so that you can comfortably extend your arms fully in every direction without any obstructions.
- Personal Items – the only things on your mat should be your body and any yoga props you intend to use during class like yoga blocks, straps, etc. Place items like coats and shoes off to the side of the room out of everyone’s way.
- Silence Your Devices – what do Broadway shows and yoga classes have in common? A perfect moment can be ruined in both when an errant phone starts ringing. If you must bring devices to class, please make sure they’re set to avoid interruptions and distractions.
A Safe Practice
- Be gentle with your body, especially when starting out. In yoga pain means no gain.
- While you should challenge yourself in class you should not push yourself past the point of safety. Yoga is meant to be an ongoing practice, you do not need to master the postures in one class.
- Yoga is not a competition. Do not judge the value of your practice against anyone else’s experience. Yoga looks, feels and works differently for and on every body.
- Listen to the instructor. It’s okay to be a little bit behind the instructor and the rest of the class. Listen closely and make sure you understand all instructions before you attempt a pose or a transition.
- Give it time, Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is the perfect yoga practice. Enjoy the journey and try not to focus on the destination.
Frequently Asked Questions About Yoga
- What is yoga?
- Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that originated in ancient India. It involves various postures, breathing techniques, and meditation to promote physical and mental well-being.
- What are the benefits of practicing yoga?
- The benefits of practicing yoga include improved flexibility, strength, balance, and cardiovascular health. It can also reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, improve sleep, and promote overall well-being.
- How often should I practice yoga?
- The frequency of practicing yoga depends on your individual goals and schedule. It is generally recommended to practice yoga at least two to three times a week to see the benefits.
- What do I need to start practicing yoga?
- To start practicing yoga, you need comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely and a yoga mat. Some people also use props such as blocks, straps, and blankets to help with certain postures.
- What are some different types of yoga?
- Some different types of yoga include Hatha, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Bikram, and Yin. Each type of yoga has its own unique style and focus.
- Is yoga good for beginners?
- Yes, yoga is good for beginners. Many studios and instructors offer beginner classes and modifications for different skill levels.
- Can yoga help with weight loss?
- Yes, yoga can be a helpful addition to a weight loss plan. It can increase metabolism, burn calories, and improve body composition.
- How do I choose a yoga instructor or studio?
- When choosing a yoga instructor or studio, consider factors such as location, class schedule, instructor experience and training, and the type of yoga offered.
- Can I practice yoga at home?
- Yes, you can practice yoga at home. There are many resources available online, including videos and apps, that provide guidance for practicing yoga at home.
- What are some tips for practicing yoga safely?
- Some tips for practicing yoga safely include listening to your body, warming up before practice, using proper alignment, avoiding pushing yourself beyond your limits, and seeking guidance from a qualified instructor if you are unsure about a posture or technique.